Emanuela's Reviews > The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings

The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe

I had an old selection of Poe's masterpieces, but this present edition is a wider collection of his works. I have already read almost everything presented in this volume, both during high school, university and even later on in my life.
I adore Poe because he is one of the few writers who is really able to scare the hell out of me in just three or four words.
The Tell-Tale Heart and were the first two stories of Poe's I've read (I was about 12 back then)and the memory of the fright and goosebumps of those evenings is still vivid in my head.
The reason I love Poe is a mystery to me, given the fact that macabre and Gothic aren't exactly my thing :) And yet, there is something in his narrative that drives me to his writings, though scaring me to no end.

On second thought, maybe this is the reason I like Poe: that his books are just what it says on their tins, and not some freakyish pulpish B-moviesish attempt to generate terror in the reader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings.