Nancy Oakes's Reviews > White Corridor: A Peculiar Crimes Unit Mystery

White Corridor by Christopher Fowler

Aug 03, 09

bookshelves: crime-fiction-uk, crime-fiction
Read in August, 2009

White Corridor is installment number five in the Bryant and May series (aka the Peculiar Crimes Unit series). In this book, the author has given his readers two mainstay elements of classic mystery -- the locked-room murder (in which a member of the PCU is killed in a most impossible fashion so that suspicion points to the others) -- and weather so incredibly bad that it prevents our heroes Bryant and May from having any hope of returning to London to help with this crime. It wouldn't be so bad, but once again, someone is scheming to close down the PCU -- so the other members of the team have to solve the crime themselves and quickly. It doesn't mean that our favorite detectives are just sitting bundled up in the car waiting for the storm to pass...they also get involved when a truck driver is killed during the standstill traffic produced by the storm.

What I liked about this book was precisely that we get to see the team at work without Bryant and May, but I just didn't think it was as good as the previous four. Normally I can't wait to dive right in...this time I could actually put the book down and do other things instead of sticking to it like glue. Dont' get me wrong...it's still quite good, quite quirky and the author's writing is great as always, but it just seemed to me that something was lacking here that is found in the other books leading up to this one series order-wise.

I definitely recommend it to people who are following the series, and to people who want something rather different in their reading (you'll definitely find it in this set of books). Don't by any means start with this one or you'll lose a lot of backstory and character development from the others. Overall...a good read and a nice way to pass a few hours on a summer's day.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Corridor.