Heather's Reviews > Drowning Ruth

Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz

Aug 03, 09

Read in August, 2009

I first read this book about 6 years ago and remembered really enjoying it at the time yet could not recall exactly what the story encompassed. I was not disappointed in my second reading. The story centers around Ruth and her Aunt Amanda, who cared for Ruth after her mother's drowning when she was a mere three years old. There is a certain amount of mystery that surrounds this death and the story is given to you in bits and pieces, the past combining with the present.

Upon picking up the book I was transcended to a time when a tough young lady, Amanda, let her guard down for a minute and made a mistake she would spend the rest of her life paying for. With this mistake came both good things, the raising of her nieces, and bad, never getting to live her life as she had planned. The focus of the story is on the secret Amanda keeps and how she hides this knowledge at all costs. And does it ever cost both her and those surrounding her as the tale is unraveled.

Schwarz's skilled writing style makes the characters within her novel come to life. You want to slap Amanda for her selfishness but feel a great deal of empathy for her guilt and the guarded secret she must manage. Ruth's character is likewise extremely sweet and likable yet contains a sharp edge. And one can not keep from being drawn to Imogene, the first to befriend the poor outcast, Ruth. It's an all encompassing tale that lends itself to being read time and time again. It has left me longing for more of Schwarz's work.

(as posted http://readingforsanity.blogspot.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drowning Ruth.