Elizabeth's Reviews > From Russia With Love

From Russia With Love by Ian Fleming

Jan 18, 2010

bookshelves: fiction, middleeast, england
Read in January, 2010 , read count: 1

I feel guilty reading these books for a variety of reasons. One, they are sinfully good. Two, they are undeniably racist and sexist. Three, I think I'm reading a first edition (the real owner of these books stole/borrowed them from a distant relative) and they are disintegrating in my hands as I read them. Every time I turn the page it comes away from the binding. Is it sacrilege to destroy a 1st edition Bond book?

The most surprising thing about these books is Fleming's prose. His descriptions evoke a wonderful sense of place and character as you read. Lines such as "...Bond recognized them as the eyes of furious dissipation" and "...pale, thick chicken's skin that scragged in little folds under the eyes" were some of my favorites. Or perhaps, "The tricoteuse of the French Revolution must have had faces like hers, decided Kronsteen."

I was disappointed with the end however, and I thought that Fleming's portrayal of the female spy was not believable. I think he does better with the femme fatal characters rather than puppy love. Must read more.
16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Russia With Love.

03/05 marked as: read

Nostromo Great characterization. I am reading this and it is so bad on many levels and yet so good and well-written.

Elizabeth Thanks!

Richard Marman Horray for that time before political-correctness and '...ists' were invented. I love JB books because they're uncompromising adventure yarns and who cares who gets shot along the way.