Derek's Reviews > The Kingdom of God Is Within You

The Kingdom of God Is Within You by Leo Tolstoy

M_50x66
Sep 23, 09

Read in September, 2009

It was sad to see Tolstoi's predictions about the end of war, punishment of crime, and other brutality. When he wrote this in the late 1800s, he seemed confident that "man" would soon move beyond violence. I am not sure if he would have been shocked if he had lived a 5 more years, but he would have been disappointed.

From a spiritual standpoint, I was conflicted by his interpretation of non-resistance. Although I long ago rejected the idea that the Sermon on the Mount was geared toward another "dispensation," I also reject Tolsoi's assertion that it is the sum total of Christianity. His ideas regarding organized religion as such, especially state-churches, are on point. It reminded me of my own discomfort when I see Christ's teachings linked with economic models, patriotism, politics, and other functions of the state.

As far as Tolstoi's actual writing, he repeats himself a few times throughout the book, and he also at least "begs the question" in one instance, and the book seems to jump around. Had this been written in the beginning of his career, I might understand why. However, this has come after so many of his acclaimed writings.

All and all, I recommend this book (I recommend every book.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom of God Is Within You.

08/03/2009 page 5