Bobbi Woods's Reviews > Very Valentine

Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

Aug 03, 09

bookshelves: book-club
Read in July, 2009

Not much to say about this book--it was moderately entertaining, but certainly not worth more than two stars in my opinion.

I have read another Trigiani book before--Queen of the Big Time--and liked it better. In this book, the author tries too hard to be witty and it distracts from the story. I like to laugh while I am reading, but when every paragraph contains sarcasm and light humor, it gets old.

I did, however, really connect to Valentine's relationship with her grandmother. I, too, was very close to mine and this story brought back some good memories.

Valentine works in her grandparents' custom shoe making business and tries to help save the business from going under from debt and competition. She and her grandmother take a trip to Italy and Valentie learns a lot about herself and her family--it's definitely a cute story but as I call them...a beach read. This was not a good book club selection--there is not much to discuss.

If you are Italian and from NYC, if you have or had a special grandmother, if you like shoes and overboard descriptions of fashion, or if you just want a light read, this book is for you!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Very Valentine.