Lisa's Reviews > The Giant's House

The Giant's House by Elizabeth McCracken

Aug 14, 09

Read in August, 2009

I have mixed feelings about this book. It was entertaining, and I really liked the author's writing style (use of words). But I didn't like the main character. And while the author says it's a romance, it certainly didn't feel like a romance to me.

While the main character says she's in love with "the giant", it seems to me more like motherly love than romantic love. I know there is a huge age difference, but it still seemed like a very odd sort of love. If she truly had a romantic love, it seems she should have been more open and up front about it. She frustrated me because she didn't act on her feelings. She didn't really follow through. She spent her time being the guy's best friend, but didn't have the courage to be open about her feelings. While I realize there were some big obstacles to the relationship (a significant age difference, and the guy's "disability"), it still seems like she was too cowardly to do anything much about her true feelings. So she really frustrated me as a main character. I kept waiting for her to really step forward and be open with the guy she cared about, and she didn't seem to be able to do it.

And then the author added the last few chapters, that really seemed odd. Did we need them? Why are they part of the story? I think the book would have been better without them.

I'll give the author credit for exploring this unusual disability and its impact on a person's life. I did like the parts of the book where the "giant" has to decide what to do about the way people react to him. And I like the way the author makes you think about people who gawk at someone who is different - showing how cruel their behavior can be.

So to my friends who may want to try reading this, I don't want to discourage you. But it isn't one of my favorite books because I was so extremely frustrated with the main character's behavior.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giant's House.