Kevin Michael's Reviews > The Bourne Ultimatum

The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum

Apr 04, 08

Recommended for: No one I know
Read in January, 2007

After three grueling months I finally finished reading this book. You may ask yourself: "If it was so grueling, why did he finish it at all?" Good question! After reading the first two books in the Bourne trilogy, I felt compelled to finally see the final confrontation between Jason Bourne and Carlos the Jackal. Now I will admit that The Bourne Ultimatum was not nearly as boring and convoluted as its predecessor, The Bourne Supremacy. However, I'm fairly certain that Robert Ludlum took a class on writing ridiculously bad exposition dialogue before completing the series. The characters never say anything the least bit natural or believable in the entire book, and every conversation seems to include one character saying to another, "I'm not following you", after which the speaker tediously explains their prior explanation about unexplained government conspiracies in an inexplicable fashion. Hey Robert--if your characters need the dialogue re-explained so that your reader will have the slightest clue what the hell's going on...maybe it's time to write better! Of course, Ludlum's dead, so we know he can't read this. Just like I could barely read his book. If the book had been about 400 pages shorter, it would have at least been fast-paced and fun, but at over 660 pages, it was incredibly overblown and repetitive. It's a real shame, because I loved The Bourne Identity. Without the mystery of who Jason Bourne is and why he knows how to be such an amazing super-spy, there's nothing to draw you into the story. Stay away unless you are a hard-core Ludlum or spy-thriller fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bourne Ultimatum.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anthony (new)

Anthony McIntyre I so totally agree with this review. (BTW I read yours after writing mine, which said more or less the same thing)

Danica Seriously, you are right, worst dialogue I've read in a long time.

Joanna I agree. I listened to this and it just seamed to drag on.

Pedro Rotoli Ludlum is dead, address your concerns to Lustbader now.

Charlie Day I was hoping someone would comment on his dialog style! that practically ruined the books for me