Reggie's Reviews > Shrinking Violet

Shrinking Violet by Danielle Joseph

Aug 03, 09

Shrinking Violet is one of the most original books I've ever read...and it was amazing. A shy girl, dreaming of becoming a DJ is totally fresh and new. It's a fun read, but underneath all of the light-hearted themes is a message to believe in yourself and not be afraid of standing up for yourself.

Tere's character is completely new to me. I've never come accross anything like her. She's always being put down by everyone, and eventually, she learns to break out of her shell and shine. And even though I can't relate to her that much (I'm not shy), I still felt like I knew what she was going through. Joseph's writing depicted how Tere was feeling extremely well. But sometimes, the situations were a little unrealistic for me. I don't know how it feels to be that shy, so I'm not really one to judge.

For me, Shrinking Violet was a little slow in terms of pace. Although I never got bored, I still wanted the climax to happen a little bit earlier. Also, I'm not particularly fond of Stacy. I'm still wondering what Tere did to her. Joseph should have added more conflict and reasoning behind Stacy's character and Tere's.

The Bottome Line: Shrinking Violet is a book that stands out from the rest (ironic right?). It's a very memorable read and completely creative and original. I loved it from start to finish. Watching Tere's character grow was exciting. It's a fun book with a touch of romance. Joseph is certainly an author to watch. A- :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shrinking Violet.