Reggie's Reviews > Just Ella

Just Ella by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Aug 03, 09

Okay, I have to be honest. . .the only thing great in this book was the plot. . .it stops there. Don't get me wrong, I hate writing bad reviews. That's why my lowest rating is going to be a 'D'. No author deserves an 'F'.

Haddix's writing was the most boring I've read. It was dull and unexciting. I was snoring by the time I got to page 3. . . literally. I've looked at what others thought about this book and surprisingly, Just Ella elicited almost-perfect reviews. Maybe it's just me then.

Haddix just couldn't accomplish charismatic writing. Instead, the book ended up colorless and passive. To get to the point, I was bored out of my mind. Even though this book was practically lifeless, I persisted in reading it so that I could have this review done (plus, I hate it when I don't finish a book).

Ella was practically the only thing in Just Ella that was great. She was so full of life. I loved her from start to finish (and Jed also). They made the plot more lively and less boring. Is it possible to hate the writing but love the characters and the plot?

The Bottom Line: I didn't get why people liked this book so much. For me, I was extremely disappointed with the book, aside from the characters and the plot. I guess it was just too 'middle-aged' for me. But who knows? You might like it. Me? Not so much. D
:-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Ella.