Emily's Reviews > Love Story

Love Story by Erich Segal

Aug 03, 09

Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I'd pretty much known the story going in, even having not seen the movie. This was a recommendation from a reading challenge group on here so I thought I'd give it a shot. Being extremely short, I figured that it wouldn't take me much time and if I hated the schmaltziness, no big deal.

What I didn't figure on was a book that, despite the ridiculous phrase that I'd heard and hated even NOT seeing the movie (I DON'T think you know what love means if that's what you truly think), contains a relationship that I wanted to hear more about. The banter was actually quite well done and the inevitable ending was miniscule.

I avoid books that intentionally tug at heartstrings. The books that contain random deaths or illnesses that are done in a way that it's fairly clear that the author is intending for you to bawl your eyes out for this tragic turn of events (which ISN'T the same as the plots that truly are tragic without the author influenced extra melodrama). To me, shockingly, Love Story didn't come off as pandering for tears. In fact, I would have liked to had the story been a bit longer so I could truly feel the loss of Jenny.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Story.