Gaia's Reviews > The Devil in the Junior League

The Devil in the Junior League by Linda Francis Lee

Aug 02, 09

bookshelves: chick-lit
Recommended to Gaia by: found it at the library
Recommended for: anyone
Read in July, 2009, read count: 1

This book was a complete surprise. I picked it up, hoping for a light, no-brainer read. It is a light read...quick, very witty and likable. And any book that gets banned by the National Junior League is A-Ok in my "book."

Frede Ware is someone I would completely dislike, but I ended up really liking and rooting for her by the end of the novel. The rest of the characters are fun, especially Nikki and Howard.

One of my few complaints echoes another reviewer. Frede is supposed to be 28 years old, 2 years younger than me. However, she reads as someone in her 40's...maybe even fifty. I had to remind myself throughout the book that this woman was younger than me. In my head, I kept picturing Blythe Danner (sue me).

I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a fun read and a caricature of southern society life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in the Junior League.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Hodges Why was it banned?

Gaia The national association of the Junior League didn't appreciate the depiction of the organization in the book. The book portrays the local JL as one where your wealth, clothes, pedigree, charitable efforts, associations and social standing matter. But we all know that there is zero truth the the stereotype of wealthy, snobby southern WASPS. ;-)