Kat's Reviews > A Streetcar Named Desire

1967788
Aug 02, 09

bookshelves: book-to-film, classics, read-in-2009, borrowed-from-library
Read in August, 2009

I've seen the 1951 film directed by Elia Kazan and was compelled to read the actual play afterward. Although I'd read Tennessee Williams in high school, this particular play was not a part of the curriculum (likely due to the play's content). I'm glad I didn't read this play when I was younger because I probably wouldn't appreciate it as much.

Williams writes great tragic characters, evidenced here in Blanche DuBois. She's pretty much off her rocker, and she's done a lot of regrettable things in her past, but the reader still feels a bit of sympathy for her. At least I did. Her foil is her crude brother-in-law Stanley Kowalski. He's truly one of literature's most menacing characters. He exudes physical appeal, but he's so frightening in his outbursts of anger that it makes you want to take his wife Stella and her sister Blanche out of that dingy New Orleans apartment just to get them away from him.

I've not read too many plays in my life, but this one was certainly worth reading. A true modern American classic. It's no wonder the play has been produced in so many countries around the world for the last six decades.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Streetcar Named Desire.