Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The House in Hiding

The House in Hiding by Elinor Lyon

Sep 23, 09

bookshelves: childrens, novel, fiction, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: CLM
Read in September, 2009

Thanks to a very good and generous Goodreads friend, I got the opportunity to read this book.

I’d read Run Away Home by this author, and it was part of the Ian and Sovra series of books, but at the time I’d thought it was a standalone novel. I learn so much because of Goodreads.

I’m sure that this book would have been a 4 star book had I read this as a kid in the early 60s. I did like it quite a bit reading it now.

This book is very, very funny! I chortled and smiled all the way through it. It’s well written, the Scottish setting is vivid and interesting, the nature (flora and fauna) described was lovely, and vicariously experiencing the excessive physical activity was enjoyable.

One thing I particularly got a kick out of was finding out how Ian and Sovra found their special hiding place that also appeared in (the later book) Run Away Home. For once, not reading books in order did not bother me; it was fun to go backwards and see what had happened.

There’s a map of the area, and I just love maps in books, and there’s illustrations, including “colour” illustarations. I just love the British spelling. (Sometimes I consider going back to my mother’s Canadian roots and changing the way I spell such words to the “our” way.)

The sibling relationship of Ian and Sovra is irresistible but (as with Cathy in Run Away Home, a favorite character of mine) the characters of Ann and Alastair would have been missed had they not been a part of this story, as it was imperative to have the perspective of some outsiders for the story to really shine.

This book is refreshingly old-fashioned in the sense of letting kids be adventurous to the point of being in some danger, of letting them have quite a bit of independence in solving their own challenges and taking some real risks. Published in 1950, these are kids from that era and from this setting, and not like the kids of today. Yet, they are fascinating and the book was well worth reading.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House in Hiding.

09/19/2009 page 1
0.42% "Catching Fire is still "at the vendor" so I'm going to try to read this book as my next fiction book."
09/20/2009 page 40
16.81% "Very funny. From when kids were permitted and encouraged to be adventurous & take real risk."
09/21/2009 page 104
43.7% "Fun to see what happens in book 1 as I'd read one of the sequels when I was young."
09/22/2009 page 173
72.69% "Not much time to read but hopefully will finish tomorrow night. These are 1950s kids vs. today's kids. Many funny parts."

Lisa Vegan Do you have Run Away Home on your list?!

I recommend both but especially Run Away Home. There are 2 or 3 more as well. Since I don't think you've read any yet, I guess I'd recommend reading them in order, no surprise coming from me.

Lisa Vegan Abigail, Keep in mind that it does have some offensive 1950 sensibilities, which perhaps I should have stressed more in my review. However, despite some talk to the contrary, I was pleased to see how much equality there was between boys and girls/men and women.