Kelly's Reviews > A Happy Marriage

A Happy Marriage by Rafael Yglesias

Aug 06, 09

Read in August, 2009

“A Happy Marriage” is autobiography thinly disguised as fiction. This is an incredibly moving and intensely literary book. Mr. Ygelsias has written a profoundly personal book, which exhibits his powers as a storyteller in a manner evidencing respect for his audience as well as his subject. This is an astonishing feat, considering that he has included ridiculously personal details of his marriage without seeming to betray the essential emotional intimacies of his married life.

I read it because I loved the movie “Fearless,” which Raphael Yglesias wrote, and because I’ve been a reader of his son Matthew’s blog for many years. (It was Matt’s blog that informed me of the book’s existence.) Although Mr. Yglesias’ life is one of great accomplishment and privilege, he has managed to craft an autobiographical narrative that bridges enormous gaps of status. I wept repeatedly while reading this book. It is a mature and phenomenally insightful story of marriage, love, and raw human need. I recommend it unreservedly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Happy Marriage.