Angela's Reviews > Only You

Aug 10, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: ebooks, romance
Read in August, 2009

This is another of my reviews in my marathon run through Elizabeth Lowell's "Only" quartet of Old West romances. "Only You" is actually Book 3, which I didn't realize until I'd started it, but what the hell. In this episode we have card sharp Evelyn Starr Johnson, a.k.a. "Evening Star", trying to gamble her way out of a jam--and pissing off the aforementioned Reno Moran, who's convinced she's set him up to get killed while she escapes scot-free. She talks him into teaming up with her to find a gold mine (not the one Willow and Caleb were after; there's a lot of mine-hunting in these books though), and ol' Reno's fit to be tied since he can't for the life of him figure out why he's so hot for a "saloon girl".

Villains Du Jour: Jericho Slater and assorted henchmen.

Big Misunderstanding Du Jour: The whole "saloon girl" thing, complete with Holy Crap! She's a Virgin! angst after Reno and Eve get down with the hot and heavy. Complete with side helpings of Reno mouthing off about Eve being selfish even after she drags his ungrateful ass out of a collapsed mine. Being hit on the head is no excuse. Really, of all the heros in this quartet, I wanted to smack Reno the most.

Hotness Du Jour: Actually, little stands out to me in particular in this installment, mostly because I spent more time being annoyed at Reno and his "saloon girl" stupidity than I did at the attempted chemistry between him and Eve.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Only You.