J.C.'s Reviews > Outcasts United: A Refugee Team, an American Town

Outcasts United by Warren St. John

Aug 08, 09

bookshelves: audiobooks
Recommended for: soccer fans, anyone who loves good journalism
Read in August, 2009 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I picked this book up on a whim--needed an audio book for a long car trip and the store was closing in 5 minutes. The word "heartwarming" on the cover caught my attention, as I wasn't looking for anything sad or too intense.

It was a good choice! I thoroughly enjoyed this quality work of top-notch journalism. In fact, it reminded me how much I enjoy an authentic American story that is well-researched and well-written. It's a story about a Jordanian woman, Luma, who decided to stay in the U.S. permanently after finishing college here, and one day she found herself driving through Clarkston, SC, and saw some kids playing a pick-up game of soccer. One thing led to another and she learned that the kids were all refugees from all over the world because Clarkston is home to thousands of refugees. She had experience as a soccer coach, so she felt compelled to start a soccer team for these kids. It became a way to offer support and structure for these kids whose lives were filled with so much tragedy and uncertainty. I was so moved by the story, I visited the team website too! http://www.fugeesfamily.org/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outcasts United.