Michael's Reviews > Fevre Dream

Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

Aug 09, 09

bookshelves: 1980s, fiction-that-speculates
Read in August, 2009

Vampires. On steamboats in the late 1800's. That's all I'm telling you about the plot, and probably all you need to know to figure out whether you're interested in reading this li'l gem by G.R.R.M.

Most of what I can say about this book is positive, because with this book more than most, I got exactly what I expected. Martin did enough to modify the vampire legend to keep things interesting, and the characters were all fun enough to make their journey entertaining. There wasn't anything in here that BLEW MY MIND, and there also weren't any moments where I cringed at either a plot twist or the writing.

Like usual, Martin creates many characters that impress you with their bad-assedness. However, in this book, Martin's characters don't fall as firmly into the gray area between good and evil as usual. In other words, in this book you have a cast of good guys and a cast of badguys. It's pretty clear-cut (eventually) who falls onto which side. This was a disappointment after reading A Song of Ice and Fire, where the most empathetic characters are also some of the most ruthless and conniving.

By the way, is anyone else sick to death of vampires? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I can't hold it against Martin that I chose to read this book in the midst of a Twilight-inspired fantasy depression where all the best-selling books in sci-fan have stupid vampire puns in their titles. I should probably just fault myself, because my timing for picking up this book... sucks. Haha.

But, if you aren't yet burned out on vampires, this IS a fun read by a skilled writer, although it doesn't do too much to break the fantasy mold. It's entertaining, but not a page-turner. It's well-written, but never surprisingly so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fevre Dream.

08/02/2009 page 92