Caitlin's Reviews > Bleeding Kansas

2209914
Aug 25, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in August, 2009

I'm a fan of Ms. Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski series & have considered reading this standalone a number of times since it came out. I've put it back on the shelves for a number of reasons, not least of them that I'm just not that into small-town family chronicles of this sort. I finally took it out because I figured I should give it a shot. Paretsky's a good writer & I'm always curious to see what writers of thrillers will do with a standalone novel.

This novel is well-written & well-plotted, but seems to lack focus in some fundamental way. I was never sure what Ms. Paretsky was trying to say & she certainly wasn't presenting a mere slice of life - to do that would have required more realism than is employed here. In many ways all of these characters are caricatures & for this novel with its lack of direction that's a problem.

Still, the plotting is good & some of the descriptive writing of the countryside is quite lovely. I enjoyed the few times she shared the diaries of the 1860's ancestor & found myself wishing she'd allowed us more time with those people than with their modern forbears. At the least she should have drawn parallels between then & now & that she didn't made the diary entries seem pretty superfluous.

All in all an average book with some above average moments.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bleeding Kansas.