Laura's Reviews > Like You'd Understand, Anyway

Like You'd Understand, Anyway by Jim Shepard

Apr 01, 08

bookshelves: fiction, underrated
Read in October, 2007

If you like short stories, you should not fail to pick up this volume, Shepard's third. Shepard's writing has a breadth pretty much unmatched in modern fiction -- he writes in wildly divergent voices and there's not a clumsy piece of prose, or even a misstep, in a single one of them.

If Jim Shepard doesn't win the National Book Award for this work, they should just abolish the damn award and have done with it. Either that or be honest about it and just give it to random books chosen by lot.

Because I know you're dying to know my favorites among this collection: it's a tie between "Courtesy for Beginners" and "Sans Farine."

Update: Well, the National Book Awards fell down on the job on this one. Surprise. However, the board of judges for The Story Prize -- apparently the only board of judges who read these short stories with their heads outside of their asses -- gave their annual prize to this book. Up yours, National Book Awards!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like You'd Understand, Anyway.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly One of my friends who is also on Good Reads (Stephanie) did a writers workshop with Jim Shepard as her mentor. I keep meaning to read his stuff. I'm not a big short story person though.