Sally's Reviews > The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power

The Family by Jeff Sharlet

Aug 02, 09

Read in August, 2009

This book is nothing short of an amazing (over-used adjective, but in this case, VERY apropos) eye-opener! Zealots of ANY persuasion make me nervous, and private citizens at the heart of international relations feels just plain wrong...illegal even? (Ever heard of the Logan Act of 1799?) We "seculars", much like the "out of touch" intelligentsia that failed to react in Germany in the '20s and '30s, need to wake up, pay attention and push back! I simply cannot believe that Jesus intended to be misinterpreted, co-opted and then turned into a "weapon" in this manner. Indeed, freedom of religion is fundamental...but so is that all-important division of Church and State. And those boundaries have been dangerously blurred of late. Time to get back on track so our nation can remain true to its original proposition, so eloquently described by Lincoln - "a government of the people, by the people and for the people" shall indeed "not perish from this earth!" Government manipulated by active (not to mention male-dominated) fundamentalism is nothing short of government misled by the biggest "special interest group" of all. Go Jeff're my new hero! (Right up there with Harvey Milk and Rachel Maddow!)
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family.