Ashley's Reviews > Fire

Fire by Robin McKinley

Aug 01, 2009

bookshelves: fairy-tales, short-stories, own

I don't normally love short stories, but I make an exception for this book as well as the one that came first, Water. I love Robin McKinley, and have ever since my friend bribed me to read The Hero and the Crown in 8th grade. I've not read a complete novel by Peter Dickinson yet, but he is high on my very large to-read list. Reading this collection of short stories makes me want to move him higher up the list. The stories contained in this book are not really fairy tales, but several of them have a fairy tale feeling to them. I really want to go back and reread Water now, and I'm excited for the remainder of the planned Elemental Series. From what I read, they are planning on Earth, Air and posisbly Time.
I love that each of these stories is wholly unique, and has a strong internal voice and rythmn to it. These stories are strong by themselves. Although I would like to spend more time in some of the worlds these authors created, and there were some unanswered questions, I didn't leave this book feeling unsatisfied, or unfulfilled the way I leave most short stories. Although certain stories left me with some questions and a desire to know more, I didn't feel that any of them were not enough. The stories were complete within themselves, and allowed me to get to know and understand the characters within, and care for them in a way most short story collections I've come across do not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fire.