Gill's Reviews > Gone with the Wind

2208255
Mar 25, 10

bookshelves: georgia, other-places, other-times
Recommended to Gill by: A pupil's mother
Recommended for: Georgians, anyone interested in the history of America and the formation of racial attitudes.
Read in August, 2009, read count: one

I understand why this book is regarded as a classic. Having read a Ferrol Sams book to get a taste of what Georgia was like, and its history, this one was recommended and lent to me by a pupil's mother. It is 'unremitting' in showing the dark side of life during the Civil War and the following period of 'reconstruction', but it also says much about the human spirit and the ability of people to survive and adapt.
It's attitudes reflect the racism and prejudices of the day, but to be true to the period about which it is written it could do no less, and it does not necessarily reflect the attitude of the author nor the readers to see that that was an essential element of life at that time.
Margaret Mitchell succeeds in creating a core of central believable characters with whom one feels involved and identifies.
When I had finished reading it I read the 29 page "The diary of Julia Fisher" @ http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ga/county...
(watch the wrap), which chronicles the experiences of Julia Fisher from January 1st to September 11th 1864 in Georgia during the Civil War. It was a fascinating juxtaposition, and brought to life for me the real terrors and hardships of the period for ordinary people.
Many people have found passages of Gone with the Wind boring because of the repetitious detail of historical occurrences and the explanatory details which they find irrelevant to the story or unnecessary because of their similarity. I was reading to learn about the history and reality of those times in that place and so to me they were essential and built the picture in which context the dramatic characters came to life and became multi-dimensional.
So much more than a mere romantic story!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone with the Wind.

08/01/2009 page 63
08/03/2009 page 272
26.9% "It's a long book but easy reading.."

Cindy In a whole different vein Bailey White is a fun, contemporary Georgia author... just little stories from her rural life. Pearl Cleage is another author I like who seems to be Atlanta-based. I grew up in North Carolina and a friend of mine who actually lived in her family's plantation house would re-enact scenes from "Gone with the Wind" on the formal staircase - very dramatic. Maybe that's why I live in Colorado now!

Gill "Maybe that's why I live in Colorado now!" made me laugh! Thank you very much for the recommendations. I was hoping to get a bit more contemporary reading. I also read Lee Ann Woods' commentaries which I found interesting, and I think are Carolina-based.

Gill Cindy wrote: "In a whole different vein Bailey White is a fun, contemporary Georgia author... just little stories from her rural life. Pearl Cleage is another author I like who seems to be Atlanta-based. I gr..."
Another big thank you for the recommendation for Bailey White. A good year for plums just arrived from the Philippines and I'm under way with this charming word-picture of southern life. I also discovered a Carson McCullers amongst the family books, and enjoyed that - very different!