Meghan's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

199350
Jul 02, 08

bookshelves: biography, comedy, own, rg-bookclub
Recommended to Meghan by: RGBC
Read in July, 2008

Sedaris is good enough with words to make you chuckle at what otherwise would be considered mundane experiences (guitar lessons, becoming a mover, taking French classes), but he is much better at telling the stories of other people. In this memoir about his life, I found myself wishing he would spend more time on his parents or siblings (like Amy). Through his words, I found myself appreciating where Strangers with Candy originated and Amy Sedaris' comic genius came from.

Overall, I found this book nice and at times amusing. But his exaggerations and overreaching humor when directed at himself don't cover up the fact that his is an ordinary man who lived an average life. And he leaves you wondering had he not fried his brains on drugs and chemical solvents in his youth, would his wit actually be something more in line to that of his sister.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Arctic Couldn't agree more with your review of this book.

Have you read any of Amy's writing?

Meghan No. I actually didn't realize she had written anything. But now that I know, I think I am going to check her out. My favorite story in this book was when she came home with half a fat suit and her father's reaction. I wish he included pictures!

Arctic yeah I was just saying in a post yesterday that I thought the Shiner Like A Diamond chapter was the best chapter in the book, more thanks to the subject than to the writer.

I just noticed that you're no longer a RGBC member - sad to see you go! I always enjoyed your comments there.

Meghan Hopefully after the big move I will be able to rejoin. I was hoping to just not post for a while, but I found that I had to "unjoin" because I was spending too much time posting even when I shouldn't. It's killing me not to join in, but my work is actually getting done, so it's been a good thing. heh

Arctic Ah yes, real life, always getting in the way. :) Glad to hear it's not a permanent hiatus anyway. Good luck with finishing that big move!