Sandi's Reviews > All the Windwracked Stars

All the Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear

Aug 21, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, 2009, cross-genre, sci-fi, library-books-read, post-apocalyptic-dystopian
Read in August, 2009

When I read the first chapter of All the Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear, I thought I would be giving it 5 stars. The language is beyond beautiful. The story is told in the manner of an epic poem, without the verse. This is the stuff of myth and legend and that is reflected in the style. The reader doesn't really connect to the characters, but can one really ever connect to legends?

I ended up downgrading this story by one star for a couple of reasons. First, about halfway through the book, I realized that I was so caught up with the way Bear was telling the story that I missed some of the setup for the main action. I had to flip back a few time to figure out what was going on. Second, the time spans encompassed in this story were confusing and I it seemed to me that I never knew how much time had passed. Characters would be in one place for what seemed like months, but they got back to where they had been in a few days.

If you're one of those people who checks out where readers shelve books, you'll see that I've put this on both my fantasy and sci-fi shelves. All the Windwracked Stars is mostly fantasy, but it has the stuff of science fiction going on in it too. It's supposed to be the first book in a trilogy, but it stands well on its own. It's a challenging read, beautifully done. It reminded me a lot of Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. If you liked that book, you should like this one as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Windwracked Stars.

08/14/2009 page 32
8.7% "If the rest of the book is like the first chapter, this will be a 5-star book."
show 3 hidden updates…