Alicia's Reviews > The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist: Volume 2

The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist by Michael Chabon

May 14, 11

bookshelves: comics-and-graphic-novels, books-i-own
Read in May, 2011

The second in the series of comic collections based on the characters created by the protagonists in The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon, I think Volume 2 exceeds the quality of Volume 1.

Volume 2 continues the charade that The Escapist and co. were created during the Golden Age of comics, but whereas the first volume sought to tell the story of the what happened to a franchise of a formerly successful comic, Volume 2 lets the stories speak more for themselves.

In particular, I really liked "The Boy Who Would be The Escapist" by Kevin McCarthy and Scott Morse and "The Escapist 2966" by Stuart Moore and Steve Conley. The first is beautifully rendered with Morse's painterly backgrounds and a story that tugs on your heartstrings. The second is a psychological mindtwist with great coloring and a rather depressing ending. And of course I liked story of "The Trial of Judy Dark" as I like anything to do with the Luna Moth character, but art didn't really do it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Amazing Adventures of the Escapist.