Ruth's Reviews > Angel of Death

Angel of Death by Karen Dales

Aug 01, 09

Read in July, 2009

I do not make it a habit to read paranormal books, but this one caught my attention and I decided to take my chances and read it. I am very glad I did! This is an excellent book. It grabbed my attention from the very beginning when a child was born who had white hair and red eyes. Immediately shunned by his mother who sends him away to die, I was pulled into the world Karen Dales magically wove. The prologue explains his childhood and the strange white creatures who haunt him and the way he became Chosen.

Then Book One begins, and I already developed an attachment to the grown child who is called the Angel and his mentor/Chooser Father Paul Notus. I really liked Notus. He is what I consider to be a moral compass, and the Angel longs to belong. However, he is different so he doesn't truly belong among other Chosen who now call themselves vampires. Both the Angel and Father Notus are back in London, and we are introduced to two very memorable characters: Jeanie Stuart and the Noble Fernando de Sagres.

The plot to this book is simple: someone is out to kill the vampires and it is up to the Angel and Fernando to find out who is behind it. (The Angel agrees in order to save Notus who is held captive.) Fernando is the opposite of Notus. While Notus is the moral compass, Fernando is a "do whatever feels right regardless of anyone else" kind of person. He was likable despite his savage nature, and I thoroughly enjoyed him. His comments had me laughing through most of the book. He's actually my favorite character.

Jeanie is the Angel's love interest, and she and Fernando clash, which was great to see. But yes, danger is lurking around the corner for Jeanie. I won't spoil that one though, but Karen has a surprise in store that caught me completely off guard.

The white demons we're introduced to in the prologue continue to haunt the Angel in this book, which I very much enjoyed because it built up the suspense and kept me on the edge of my seat. Who are these demons and will the Angel ever conquer them?

So I recommend this book. This is a mature book, and it's probably that reason that makes it easy to enjoy it as much as I did. It's nice to get involved in a story that has multiple layers and depth to it. It's a book for my keeper shelf now. And don't let the number of pages dissuade you. The book reads fast because Karen never lets it slow down.Angel of Death Book One of the Chosen
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angel of Death.