Alison's Reviews > Crank

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

Mar 31, 08

Recommended for: def. 14yrs and up!!&anyone who likes the book Go Ask Alice
Read in February, 2008

This book is probably my one of my favorites this year! It is a teenage fiction book that I would classify as drama/awesome story that probably everyone can relate to! Kristina, the main character, makes one bad decision during her summer that changed the rest of her life. Her alternate ego, Bree as she calls it, causes her to spiral down the wrong path and trying just about every drug out there; ecstasy, LSD, pot and crank(etc.), hence the title.
The thing that I find most interesting about the book is the two different personalities that the one character has. Bree is the bad girl that likes to stir up trouble, while Kristina is the loving and caring girl that her parents are so very proud of. It made me think, do I have two different personalities? I actually think I do, sometimes I act differently around certain people, but I know for sure i won't end up like Kristina!
Also this book really interested me because of its similarity to one of my other favorite books, Go Ask Alice, because first off, the characters both experiment with drugs. And secondly, their decisions caused them to change drastically in personality, appearance and mood.
But, what I like most about this book is the style it is written in, visually and content wise. Ellen Hopkins writes diary style, but adds in dialog to bring the scene alive! She also sometimes adjust the words in positions so that the text creates certain shapes for example, an arrow because Kristina was going on a plane back home. Although, this is sort of confusing at sometimes because you can't tell which part your supposed to read next. And despite the page numbers(a little more than 500),it is a very easy read, you'll read 20 pages within five minutes without even noticing!
I definitely want to read the other three books that come after this novel; I was so happy when i was finally able to read this book and now that I have, I am so thankful and relieved!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crank.