Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

2281988
Aug 17, 09

bookshelves: read-2009, genre-science-fiction, level-middle-grade, published-2000s
Read in August, 2009

I picked this book up in the first place for two reasons - one, my recent obsession with fiction set in the 1970s, and two, because someone on the internet posted something that said it was the best children's book she had read in years. And though I was skeptical at first, and confused, and maybe a bit disappointed during the first 50 pages that nothing especially brilliant was happening, in the end, I was absolutely blown away.

It's so hard to think of another book to even compare this one to. The main character, Miranda, who is the recipient of a series of strange notes throughout the story, is obsessed with Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, and this is certainly fitting, though saying why would perhaps ruin the book for potential readers, and I don't even want to run a slight risk of that. The payoff of reading the entire thing is so worth it, it would be a shame to see a reader miss out. I was also reminded of Konigsburg,E.L., whose books often have the same mysterious, confusing quality that makes everything feel so good when it finally comes together.

Read this book if you loved A Wrinkle in Time. Read it if you love books set in Manhattan. And read it if you love children's literature, because this is an excellent piece of work, and I have to agree that it is among the best books I have read for this age level - grades 5 and 6 or so - maybe ever.

My prediction is that this book will be very strongly considered for the Newbery in 2010.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.