Sabra Embury's Reviews > Diary Of An Oxygen Thief

Diary Of An Oxygen Thief by Anonymous

Oct 04, 11

Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I picked up this book at a Bedford bookstore on a rainy day. The store had cats crawling all over the place, sleeping on shelves and stacks, disaffected by random hands and noises coming their way. One cat was missing a front leg, but it had great balance, if that's not a given, and seemed to appreciate the attention from patrons petting it--to get more uniqueness out of their book browsing experience.

From a habit of picking up random books off tables and reading a paragraph cracked open somewhere near the middle, I made it through four books, books I'd somewhat been meaning to read, before picking up "Diary..." and deciding something about the voice of its narrator was compelling enough to drive me through the end of its pages near the onset of reading it.

"Diary" had velocity. An easy read, the story unfolds around the life of a boozer Irish guy in Advertising who gets his kicks by breaking the hearts of unsuspecting women--until he sobers up, and meets his equally playerfied match in the New York photography world. From there, relationship karma plays vigilante, and curious dating drama pops about from bar to art show, with strange sources seemingly capturing the narrator's essence of well-manipulated disappointment on film for the sake of prosperity and romantic indignation.

The idea of dog-eat-dog skirts a visceral edge in "Diary," though, by the end, watching the disintegration of the ego-heavy-predator-type narrator feels less a victory than hoped for. The idea of "moving on" also came to mind when the wordy memoir/therapy session finally came to its conclusion. At that point, I was happy to put the book away, to let my mind resume the exquisite, undistracted course of figuring out my own problems.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary Of An Oxygen Thief.

08/09/2009 page 50

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erik (new) - added it

Erik Valind I'm in that very store with the same 3 legged feline right now.