Jen Aspengren's Reviews > Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Sep 21, 2007

it was ok

I have liked Kingsolver's books in the past and I am easily obsessed with sustainable farming/living/eating issues. So, why didn't I love this book? Several reasons:

- Preachy, preachy, preachy. Yowsers, if I wanted to be depressed I'd watch daytime TV, not read a book. It's a lot of doom and gloom, particularly from Kingsolver's husband (uber downer).
- Self-righteous, Party of Four. She and her family spend a lot of time planting seeds, celebrating food, pointing fingers, and patting themselves on the back. Nobody likes that.
- No emotional engagement. I ended up feeling more like oh-come-on-and-just-go-to-a-supermarket than cheering for the do gooders. They just didn't seem that fun. And what is life if you suck all of the fun out of it?

Ok, maybe that's all a bit harsh. But I had high expectations because of the writer and the topic. I did learn interesting things about farming, seeds, living simply, and thinking twice (or three times) before buying food that has been shipped. I also learned that eating locally and growing your food are not necessarily as romantic in real life as they are in my head.

All in all, I give it a C+.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

07/11/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Brenda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Brenda Did you read this one yet? I like some of Kingsolver's books and I might get this one. Let me know if you've started it or if you didn't like it at all.

message 2: by Brenda (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Brenda Hmmm - not glowing...I might skip it. Preachy, self-righteous, and self-congratulatory equals lame.