Andrea's Reviews > Hunter's Moon

Hunter's Moon by C.T. Adams

F_50x66
Aug 01, 09

Read in July, 2009

I almost never decide not to finish a book--especially a mere 300 pager like this one. Sometimes I'll lose interest and--oops--it's due back at the library, and I never get around to renewing it again. I decided to abandon this book around halfway through.

I wanted to like it. I'm predisposed to love books about werewolves and shapeshifters, and Hunter's Moon seemed original. I haven't yet encountered a paranormal romance with a Mafia-connected assassin as the hero and a suicidal depressive as the heroine. Turns out there may be a good reason for this.

The two main characters were utterly disagreeable. The werewolf assassin hero doesn't seem to have much of a problem killing people for money--hey, he's not the one who wants them dead, he's just doing his job. He doesn't see anything wrong with some kid starting his assassin career at 6; what could be wrong with that--if he wasn't a killer for hire, he'd be a serial killer. The most redeeming characteristic of the hero is that he doesn't want to eat people. Be still my beating heart.

The heroine isn't much better. In theory, she is suicidal due to massive family pressures, not much love from her family, and a way overdeveloped guilt complex. I say "in theory," because the book didn't convince me that she was actually suicidal. She seemed too interested in staying alive and screwing for someone depressed enough to hire a serial killer to off her. Despite her supposed pathetic predicament, I couldn't find anything to like about her, either. If her guilt complex was due to feelings of compassion for others, she would be more sympathetic, but her guilt feelings seem to be all about not feeling bad about herself. She doesn't seem to care at all about anyone else.

So I'm done with this book. Life is too short to spend on characters that I would never want to meet in real life.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunter's Moon.