Alan's Reviews > The War

The War by Marguerite Duras

Aug 01, 2009

Read in July, 2009

This is the third time I have read a book by Duras and said it is the best book I have ever read. I am astonished and destroyed. Despite the fact that the English publishers did everything in their power to make no one want to read it, by changing the title shamelessly in order to fit into the memoirs market. The real title should be translated--so I am told--Pain or Suffering. I didn't like the story from her communist period. I also had some problems with the following one, about the small Jewish girl, though it was beautiful. But these are maybe 5% of a book containing some of the best writing I have ever read. Perfectly flawed. I'm sure I'll say that again about her. She says of the first piece that it makes her ashamed of literature. That is so true. It is literary truth, not truth in literature. The portrait of her husband and his return from Dachau. Yes. That. That that that. It is Night. It is Better than Night.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War.

09/16 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

Special Way I didn't know you like Duras...or that you have a good reads account. I am addicted to Duras' auto-biographical material.

Sally Boyer "Perfectly flawed". Yes.

message 3: by Padraig (new) - added it

Padraig Which other two Duras did you love? I gave 5 stars to _The Lover_ and _Practicalities_ . I am enjoying working through her catalogue but there are some real thin pieces in her wide ranging output (Two by Duras, Moderato Cantabile, Emily L. felt like ephemera.) Would love to know which of her "conventional" novels are good ones: _The Sea Wall_?