Sandy's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

Aug 12, 09

Read in August, 2009

The Thief is a timeless, classic story that kind of reminds me of Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. It's a tale about a few travellers who - in the end - grow to like and care for each other and learning some important lessons along the way. I am not a reader who expects to gain better insight and knowledge from a book. I read for my own enjoyment so that I feel and because I love to read. It's fun. So this book isn't something I would ordinarily select. I didn't like it because it was boring and evoked no emotion whatsoever. Gen is a tactless but skilled thief and I enjoyed his sarcastic and rude remarks because it was part of his realistic personality created by Turner. She managed to create a world, a time (although not historically accurate), legends and gods while making the history seamless. Her characters were thoughtful and full of depth, but weren't one-dimensional like some can be. It's educational and captivating to those who do read for enlightenment, but I am not one of them. All elements were excellently delivered which is why I guess it got so many great reviews. However, it did bore me so I am wary of reading the sequels. 3.5/5 stars.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.