Liz's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Jan 02, 10

bookshelves: classics
Read in January, 2010

It was, as I starred it, just okay. Maybe if it hadn't been for the poor grammar and serious racism I'd have found a good story in there. But even with 10 less typos I just don't think I would have gotten on board with a murderous child whose teenage siblings want to control the world. Not really my storyline.

I did empathize with Ender and all his little kid sized buddies, but I didn't get why they had to be children. Everything about the storyline seemed to be pretty "out of this world" unreal.

As for my "favorite" part, the racism. I should have expected it, a white Christian man from the Carolinas writing during the 70s . . . hated Russia, check; use of the n-word, check; the "I'm not anti-sematic," anti-sematic cover up, check! Unless you were a white American or a variety of Polynesian you were pretty much worthless. Oh wait, he seems to have had a good impression of Islam. Wonder if he wishes he could go back and fix that. Hey! hows bout you correct all the typso and awful grammatical writing whiles you at it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

07/31/2009 page 40
15.63% "I don't get it . . . the hype that is."
08/29/2009 page 70
27.34% "Had to take it back to the library, but I was finally into it. Some day."
12/31/2009 page 124
48.44% "Started it up again . . . have I mentioned how racist it is? And you'd think they'd have fixed all the typos and bad grammar by now."