Julian's Reviews > Swordspoint

Sep 24, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: queer, science-fiction
Read in August, 2009

I couldn't finish it... I just didn't really care about the characters enough. But I can see why other people like it so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swordspoint.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Wealhtheow You're a failure as a human being, but I intellectually understand why you might not like it. It's a work that has a very specific appeal to it--those who like intense, often dysfunctional emotional connections and Byzantine plots in lush, European-style fantasy worlds.

message 5: by le-trombone (new)

le-trombone Wealhtheow wrote: "You're a failure as a human being, but I intellectually understand why you might not like it. It's a work that has a very specific appeal to it--those who like intense, often dysfunctional emotion..."

Ouch! I liked it a lot also (it's been about fifteen years, I probably should re-read), but let's face it, a self-destructive protagonist is not for everyone.

message 4: by Shinynickel (new) - added it

Shinynickel Hm. Now I have to go read it immediately.

Julian I was told that even though I didn't like this one I might like the sequel. True? Please choose y/n

message 2: by le-trombone (new)

le-trombone Julian wrote: "I was told that even though I didn't like this one I might like the sequel. True? Please choose y/n"

Abstain. I haven't read it yet.

Wealhtheow Oh god, you will LOVE it. The protag is a female bisexual girl who Alex forces to learn to swordfight (both to give her power and freedom beyond what a genteel girl has in their society, and to annoy her mother). She is as far from Alex's personality as you can get. She's a fantastic, mature twist on the Alanna of Treborn trope.