Brian's Reviews > The Talent Code: Unlocking the Secret of Skill in Sports, Art, Music, Math, and Just About Everything Else

The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle

Jul 31, 09

bookshelves: sports-training
Read in July, 2009

This book was interesting for someone looking to make it to the olympic, or pro level in sports mainly, but he includes other things like, music profession, or just regular things like getting your baby to walk earlier than most. His main premiss is that you must have the passion to practice deeply (slowly, making mistakes and correcting them, being highly disciplined along with perfected execution of your sports movements doing all this for approx. 10,000 hrs to get to the pro level.
He reveals many cases where what you'd think would be the case isn't, he speaks about a substance called myelin in our bodies that increases our bodies ability to fire more rapid, the impulses that go to our brain, from the areas of the body that we work with over and over. This he maintains is why those who put out the effort are the ones we call born superstars but they really are just normal people who do the most work.
There are many questions I had about the book that he didn't answer and I don't know if I'd buy it all but it was interesting to read and already I have started to train my daughter this way in basketball, I figure if It's good for professionals its good for anyone who wants to get better. For those wondering if you need specialized knowledge to understand it, you don't!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Talent Code.