Jill's Reviews > Anthem

Anthem by Ayn Rand

Jul 31, 09

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Read in September, 2007

The first I remember knowing about Ayn Rand was by reading about scholarship contests for high school students to get money for college. I'd never read her books, but had a friend who liked them (I think) and all I knew was the Fountainhead (or Atlas Shrugged or both) was really freaking long. So when I saw Anthem at a garage sale, I figured, what the heck, I ought to see what I missed out on back in high school.

This book made me so mad that I wanted to puke. Seriously.

Mostly I think it's her dedication to selfishness that disgusts me. Sure, if people want to strike out on their own to be the best they can be, I'm not going to hold them back. But to say that someone who is living right has no compassion, and also that they have received no help, is just a lie.

People should feel free to disagree with me. I understand that coming from under the heavy hand of socialism/communism will push a person to believe things like this. If I had Ayn Rand's background, I might also write something like this. But I refuse to believe that makes it universally right.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anthem.