Julianna's Reviews > Big Stone Gap

Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani

Aug 14, 09

Recommended for: noone
Read in August, 2009, read count: 1

This was such a poorly written book that if it had not been required reading by the Baton Rouge Newcommer's Literary Review book club I would have turned it in to the library after the first chapter.
The author attemps to place the book in 1978 rural Virginia. Trigiani tells her readers in the first chapter of the book that the main character's mother came over from Italy pregnant, unwed, and without sponsorship in the 1940's. Given the USA's immigration policy of that time this senerio is Impossible.
The first 5 chapters(90 pages out of 268.5) are so dull that you could skip them and not miss much. The Character portrayal is flat. The development is nonexistant. The plot is weak. In chapter 10 when the main character suddenly decides that she's in love is unbelieveable. This developement screams of an editor shouting," REWRITE THOSE LAST CHAPTERS AND THROW IN SOME ROMANCE IF YOU WANT A BOOK DEAL!"
The writting noticeably improves at (chapters 8 - 11) the end of the book that I find myself wondering if the editorial staff has written the last chapters or if not perhaps Ms. Trigiani was in a Deep Sleep as she wrote the first 200 pages of this novel.
In short if you want a well written, interesting, folksy book this is Not it. Perhaps you should read Fried Green Tomatoes instead. If you have to read this book...read the first chapter then skip the next 7. You'll save yourself a lot of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Stone Gap.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly I felt exactly the same way.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 1 star

Amy Me too. Considering not even finishing.

message 3: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi Just watch the movie when it comes out.