Janie's Reviews > The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home

Sep 03, 09

bookshelves: edupunction, non-fiction
Read in September, 2009

Verrrry interesting.

* for: best for people who have already decided homeschooling is what they want to do and want established, classical curricula. Also for those who want resource references out the wazoo.

I have mixed feelings about this book. The book is written by a mother and daughter pair. The daughter is one of three homeschooled children, but no mention was made of the experiences and outcome of the other kids' educations, and it bothered me. The daughter is wildly successful by typical high-faluting educational standards. She finished high school at 16, was a National Merit Finalist and went on to excel at college and to homeschool her own children. It's not that this sort of profile is bad -- the person I like best of all was homeschooled, finished high school at 16, was a National Merit Finalist...

but isn't homeschooling a little bit about escaping that one profile of success and helping set up other ones? I think so. The narratives of success are already too narrow, and I feel like The WTM only perpetuates the narrowness and elitism of education.

Also, I'm not sure that a classical education is the best way to go. I do love Latin declensions, and classical education has all sorts of cachet, but there's a lot this curriculum seems to be missing out on (though at the same time it seems like it can't make a decision about what to prioritize and cut out, too).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well-Trained Mind.