Erin's Reviews > Eiffel's Tower: And the World's Fair Where Buffalo Bill Beguiled Paris, the Artists Quarreled, and Thomas Edison Became a Count

Eiffel's Tower by Jill Jonnes

2320578
Aug 11, 09

bookshelves: france, historical-nonfiction
Read in August, 2009

I thought this was going to be more interesting than it actually was. Having read "The Devil in the White City," maybe I was expecting more from a tale about a legendary World's Fair. Paris may not have had a serial killer, but it had drama and celebrity, no doubt. However, this telling of the events surrounding the World's Fair in Paris was a little dry.

The book focuses on several notorious personalities and events associated with the fair, including Eiffel and the controversy surrounding his building of the Eiffel Tower, Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakley and their rising celebrity in Europe, Thomas Edison's enthusiastic reception in Paris and artists Van Gogh and Gauguin as they argued in Arles and readied their work for the fair. While each story has its moments, as a whole it's not the sort of utterly compelling read I had hoped for. Still, I learned something and enjoyed the history I wasn't familiar with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eiffel's Tower.