DavidO's Reviews > A Princess of Landover

A Princess of Landover by Terry Brooks

Aug 09, 09

bookshelves: 4-or-5-stars
Read in August, 2009

The Princess of Landover is about the daughter of Ben Holiday (the hero of the first 5 books in the Magic Kingdom for Sale/Sold series). She's very much a typical teenager. She wants to be good, yet she finds the rules that she has to live under unfair, so she rebels. First by getting kicked out of school, then by running away from home (and worse as the book progresses). She eventually finds herself at a magical library where she has to solve a mystery without getting her or her friends killed.

I'd classify this as light fantasy. It's in a magic world, but it isn't as complex as the Wheel of Time. There is some humor, but it isn't as over the top as the Discworld series. The world is in some danger, but not that much. The characters have some problems, but in the end the good guys/gals win. The bad guys are evil, but not too evil.

Apparently thsi is the beginning of more books in this series, based on the way it ends, but it does work as a stand alone novel.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Princess of Landover.

07/31/2009 page 1
08/08/2009 page 110
31.25% 2 comments
show 7 hidden updates…

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin There are that many typos?

DavidO Beat me. But the book doesn't look right at all, it actually looks like a POD book, which it probably is. It doesn't have any cover art. The contents page lists all of the chapters as being page 000. There's some generic advertising stuff on the front page the like of which I ahve never seen before. The only reason I get to see this promo copy is because I won it here on Goodreads.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin You won it? That's cool.

But no cover art? That's weird, as there's a picture on the GR book page. And what makes the ads so strange?

DavidO Usually you see other authors saying the book is awesome. Here it mentions what kind of advertising will be done, how extensive the book tour will be, that kind of thing. It also says not to have reviews published before the book is. Although I'm not sure if that holds for Goodreads or not.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin Wow. I've never heard of that info included with a book. I always assumed that would be sent to the author under separate cover.

But surely, since you have it, you could post a review on this site (otherwise why send it to you?)

DavidO I'm just not sure if they want me to hold off posting a review.