Jennifer Arnold's Reviews > God Is Dead

God Is Dead by Ron Currie Jr.

Aug 26, 09

Read in August, 2009

The NY Times called Currie a "startlingly talented writer," and I have to agree. I went back to read this after absolutely loving his new book, Everything Matters. Currie definitely doesn't shy away from the big questions...in this novel, God appears on earth in the body of a Dinka woman in the Sudan, and dies in an attack on a refugee camp.

In a series of chapters that are more like interconnected short stories than a true novel, the world deals with the knowledge that God is dead in sad, strange, and violent ways...teenage boys form a suicide pact when the world goes Mad Max and they lose their parents and families, parents take to worshiping their children in the absence of God, and world wars are fought over philosophical ideas rather than religion (the evolutionary psychologists vs. the postmodern anthropologists). There's even an interview with a feral dog who unknowingly ingested a piece of the creator's body and was forever changed. Again, if I tried to summarize this for you, you'd think it was weird, to say the least. However, just like with Everything Matters, this book finds a way to work. Currie's narrative confidence is part of what pulls it off, but I think I most admire his ability to evoke such disparate emotions - the book is disturbing, sad, funny (particularly the Colin Powell piece - really), and intellectually provocative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Is Dead.