Cassy's Reviews > Hack: How I Stopped Worrying About What to Do with My Life and Started Driving a Yellow Cab

Hack by Melissa Plaut

Sep 28, 2009

bookshelves: favorites, books-in-2009, non-fiction, humor
Recommended to Cassy by: Allison
Read in September, 2009 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** I actually ended up loving Hack Plaut is witty and honest, two things that don't necessarily go hand in hand. My impressions of the book going in was that it would be a collection of the stories she accumulated while on the job. While there were plenty of outrageous stories, there was also a lot of self-reflection. She talks about how, after getting over the initial excitement, the anger she felt from the job would overflow into her everyday life. It was hard to keep that rage in check. The smallest things would trigger her into a fight.

She also talked about the ill treatment of cabbies. Like anything else, most cab drivers are good people and good drivers. It's just the few that gives the whole a bad name. Because of that, Cab drivers are targeted by passengers, cops, other drivers and just about everyone else in NYC. She would get three tickets to anyone else's one.

I also loved reading about NYC and it's people. I don't know if it was just the native New Yorker in me but as outrageous as some of the stuff was, it didn't surprise me. She also mentions that on the first day of the NYC transit strike, there was a feeling of coming together between people in the city. People were more understanding, more cooperative, and were generally supportive of the Taxi drivers in the area because it was a hard few days on everyone. I literally got a warm feeling, smiled and then became incredibly homesick. NYC, despite it's rough and selfish nature, really knows how to pull through when it counts and I think there are few places that can simultaneously pull those two traits off. It made me remember, and insanely miss, that feeling and a place that I love.

Plaut also showed how she changed through her experiences. I, as the reader, could easily see how she had changed in just the short year that she covers in the book and it was fascinating to watch that change happen. Her circumstances have changed little from the beginning of the book to the end (she's still driving a taxi, though less hours than she had been previously and she still didn't know what she wanted to do with her life) but she changed so much it was amazing. Her patience and tolerance grew, along with her view on life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hack.