Janelle Dazzlepants's Reviews > Masquerade

Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz

Jul 31, 09

bookshelves: vampires, young-adult, aliens, fantasy, urban-fantasy
Read in August, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I liked this one even more than Blue Bloods :) seeing the Silver Blood plot play out is truly suspenseful, and although certain things were predictable, it totally kept me guessing.

OMG PLOT TWISTS! They didnt seem as annoyingly random and thrown in at the end like in Blue Bloods, and they were a bit better and a lot more shocking. I guessed that Kingsley was a Silver Blood, although the whole thing with Mimi Force being accused and almost destroyed was a total shocker. As was the revelation that Bliss is Schuyler's half sister! Following the parallel story of Maggie Stanford was also really interesting, and a great plot device seeing as it enhanced the story, rather than detracting from it.

Oliver and Schuyler are so cute :) I kinda hope they end up getting together in the end, or that he at least finds another love if he can't have Schuyler. I dont really want Schuyler to end up in a coma like her mother though. I guess because Schuyler is a half blood, there's no other angel that she's bound to, so she could end up with Oliver, even though the Committee wouldnt approve.

Also, I loved the introduction of Jack and Mimi Force's real angel identities. I was also pleased that the author cleared up the situation regarding their brother/sister nature in the Red Blood world - I was having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that it wasn't quite incest, but it totally made sense when I read that it was the first time they'd been born as twins to the same family. Still creepy though :P

You'd think that considering Mimi has lived through so much shit and is Azrael, the Angel of Death, she'd be a little less shallow. I know that if I were the reincarnation of a fallen angel I'd be a little less concerned with material things. I was kinda hoping she would get condemned and burn, although that'd suck for Jack.

And ahhhh Jack. Kinda over the Schuyler/Jack/Mimi love triangle. At least if Mimi had burned, that'd make it easier for Jack and Schuyler to get together :|

Anyway, can't wait to get on to the next book tomorrow, and I'll be looking out for the next book in the series in October!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masquerade.

07/30/2009 page 93