Tatiana's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
2250020
's review
Dec 03, 13

bookshelves: 2009, ya, why-the-hype, romancelandia, ala-ya-2010
Recommended to Tatiana by: YA Book club pick
Recommended for: Twilight fans, especially those on Team Jacob
Read in October, 2009

To sum it up, this book should have been called "Twilight: Team Jacob Version." Why? Well, while I understand that the author wrote her first draft of "Shiver" before "Twilight" came out, still, the similarities are striking. A boring girl whose only personality traits are obsessing about her supernatural boyfriend, doing homework and cooking dinner for her parents - check; an emo supernatural boyfriend whose life revolves around his human flame, who plays an instrument and writes songs for his girl - check; a boy and a girl sleeping in the same bed night after night and no matter how much this girl asks for "it," the hero says "no," because it's not "right" - check; parents, who are oblivious to the fact that their daughter practically has a live-in boyfriend - check. I can go on, but I am sure you get the picture.

Why 2 stars and not less then? Well, the writing is not bad. It is a little "purplish," but at least we are spared numerous "chagrins" and endless "Edward is a beautiful god-like creature" rants. I have to note here however, that although the writing and author's vocabulary are much better than Stephenie Meyer’s, this book lacks that signature Twilight addictive quality (I can’t believe I just wrote this because I am not even a Twilight fan!), the middle of the book is especially slow moving. The werewolf mythology, although very little explored, is based on a moderately novel idea of the transformation caused by changes in temperature. And finally, the main scorer is that Stiefvater manages to create in her book an atmosphere of coldness. You literally feel cold reading this book all the time. I have to give her some credit for this, I am sure it takes skill.

Overall, it is an OK romance paranormal story (emphasis on “romance” here). I expect if you love "Twilight," you'll like this book too. I personally didn't care for it much. There are 2 more books in this series, but I doubt I'll be reading them.

Reading challenge: #1 - S
371 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.
sign in »

Reading Progress

10/06/2009 page 50
12.82%
10/06/2009 page 50
12.82% "It has very Twilight feel to it..." 2 comments
10/07/2009 page 150
38.46% "It has very Twilight feel to it..."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-50 of 93) (93 new)


message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin I love that the "chagrins" bugged you in Twilight. I was particularly annoyed by that as well. I think I'll pass on Shiver. Thanks for the review.


message 2: by Kenneth (new) - added it

Kenneth Svenning I might check this out becouse that this review made me so curious. I did indeed like twilight, very good, exceot the "chagrins" as you both mentioned. If twilight were made more brutal and less of a "girly" book, that might have been perfect, but oh well. I like the characters, and most of the traits in the mythological part. With one exception, sparkling vampires, really?REALLY?`come on Steph.. How about something nasty like accelerated sweatting? Sparkling might be better, atleast its original to some extent, but really just..no, its silly.

I like that the way the Black's arent "real" werewolves, and thus theyre allowed to phase whenever, and they dont HAVE to phase at a full-moon etc. So I gotte give it to Stephanie Meyer for some good stuff there..

So how are the supernatural stuff in this book, does it feel well "researched"? Are there alot of info spread out in interesting ways, because thats what I enjoy, getting info on the creatures spread out interesting ^^ Hope that made sense!

As for vocabulary, didnt Meyer have a degree in litterature? Ohwell, that will surely develop, I think she's an excellent writer!


Mikayla They are a little similar. But I honestly think Shiver is wayy better than twilight. Sure, they have a few things in common. But I find that not a good enough reason to at least give it a try.


message 4: by Denae (new)

Denae One way Stievater makes the reader feel cold is by using dark blue (not black) ink in the book. It's subtle, almost unnoticeable, but a nice, chill touch.


Haley Willis Well, aren't you a positive rain of sunshine.


Ashley♥Alexis I find many things annoying about your review but the main thing is you're basing your dislike of this book off of another book you dislike. The only thing Twilight and Shiver have in common is the fact that it's a teen paranormal romance.

This book is very well written, unlike Twilight (although i am a Twilight fan) At the surface it may remind you of a carbon copy of Twilight but I believe this story has a lot more depth than that. Especially the character interactions are more genuine and not based on appearance. Even though their love is a very important part of this story other aspects like friends and family (2 legged or 4) play an important role in who they are and how they grow.

I feel like you read this book and thought hey werewolf and human girl, angst teen story and basically started off knocking it because it reminded you at least on the surface of Twilight.


message 7: by Naiche (new)

Naiche Well, I completely agree with AshleyAlexis. Shiver isn't really anything like Twilight. In fact, it shouldn't be compared to Twilight at all. Shiver is beautifully written. Sam's life doesn't revolvr aroung Grace's. They fell in love with eachother at first sight.
Plus, the characters are more personal than those of Twilight. Steifvater even adds in Sam's lyrics to the novel.


Chelsea Wow! I think I found Miss Tatiana's entire comment annoying. Tatiana, have you read the evermore series? Because I'm sure you would dislike that one too.


message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

the review that keeps on giving.


Tatiana Dear fellow goodreaders, if you find my review so annoying, why do you bother reading it and commenting on it at all? Can't you instead dedicate your time to gushing over Shiver at some fan club? I am sure you will find that much more rewarding.

And Chelsea, I surely read Evermore - 1 star from me.


Misty AMEN! Tatiana, I agree fairly wholeheartedly with you, even though I enjoyed the book (for the most part), and was able to set some things aside. But even if I disagreed with you wholeheartedly, I would still like your review. You made your points, you made them well, and you weren't offensive or dismissive. And you also weren't a tweeny smitten girl -- you know, the kind that call themselves Team _________ [I could give you some names, but none of them would be so nice, so I'll let you insert your own...:]; the kind that thinks people fall in love at first sight, rather than lust, and that this is a fine excuse -- no need to back it up in the text; the kind that attack other people's reviews because they disagree.

Thanks for your honest, thoughtful review, and for not kowtowing to nonsense.

:)


message 12: by AH (last edited Aug 24, 2010 06:38PM) (new) - added it

AH Tatiana, I haven't read Shiver yet because my darn library doesn't seem to have it. I do love your reviews because they represent your opinion. I like your opinions and your reviews are very entertaining. You go, girl!


Tatiana Thank you for your support, ladies:)


Kat Kennedy I delight in your reviews, Tatiana!


Tatiana The feeling is mutual, Kat. I am sure you know it.


Balls! :)


Kat Kennedy Buttsecks!


Tatiana LMAO! Would would I do without you?


Kat Kennedy Well, you'd be down one more stalker for starters! :P


Tatiana LOL


message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, this is a reply to your review, check it out :):

Review


Bailey THANK YOU TO OBLIVIOUS PARENTS. I think that's the one thing that really, really, REALLY got my goat.

Picture it. You're a parent of an only child, your wife is off at work. You're in the kitchen, having breakfast and chatting with your daughter. The shower is running in another part of the house, and instead of being like "Who the fuck is in the shower", you say "Have a great day!" and leave. HE TAKES A SHOWER WHEN SHE IS IN THE KITCHEN WITH THE ONE OTHER PERSON IN THE HOUSE AND NO ONE NOTICES. Oh my gosh, I think that little detail just really set me off the most. Also, Shiver and Twilight are not just similar because they are teen paranormal romances. (They're SHITTY teen paranormal romances!) You have a freaking list of shared circumstances that are not in other teen paranormal romances. So. I say five stars to Tatiana's review.


message 22: by Torie (new)

Torie This people are obviously all twi-hards that are angry you're bashing their most faaaaaavorite book in the world. I, for one, enjoyed your review. Was thinking of looking into "Shiver," but the comparison to "Twilight" has made me wary, and after reading over the synopsis again, I don't think I'll pick it up. Thanks for the warning.


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

^ I am definitely not a die-hard twilight fan. I don't care what tatiana says about twilight. But saying that shiver is a total copycat is wrong.


message 24: by Nerdie (new)

Nerdie Werewolves changing with the seasons sounds kind of neat actually. But I probably won't be picking this one up. Romance isn't really a genre I read much anyway, and the 'Twilight' comparison put me off even more.

I laughed at your 'chagrins' comment. XD I hated that as well.


Zialialis You should probably read linger. It addresses most of the issues you talked about in this review. Except for the hung up on human flame and slow pace part.


Tatiana Thanks Zialialis, but I'll pass. I've read enough reviews of Linger to know I won't care for it.


message 27: by Yasmin (last edited Jan 06, 2011 01:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yasmin Shiver has nothing to do with Twilight. I dont know why people keep comparing everything with Twilight. Yes! The Twilight Saga was successful. Stephenie Meyer knew how to make a good read out of a boring series named The Vampire Diaries.
But does it mean because she put her finger on a subject, the others cant? Its like saying because Da Vinci painted a world famous portrait, the others should not even try.
I love twilight. I love Edward cullen. And I love Shiver, Sam and Grace. Because they all had their own moments. The storyline is so different. Sam is everything Jacob wished to be. The parents werent the same. Grace and Bella have nothing in common. We are all boring on our own, until something finally happen. Sam did not say no to "it". It's not bad to have self-control. But I guess it depends on your point of view and how you see things.
I've read so many good and bad novels. Shiver is one of those good books that you can't easily forget. But then again, thats just my opinion. Maggie Stiefvater is not my sister. And Im not saying her books are perfect. But this story is original. It has a special feeling to it. Stiefvater knows how to write. And if you give it a chance, you will actualy like it. Just don't see everything from the filter of twilight. There might be millions of books and movies with the same sobject. Some similarities are inevitable. But its not like every single one of them is a copy. It doesnt make them bad. Its just that some peaople like them, some people dont.


Tatiana I gave it a chance, I read it all the way through.


message 29: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I laughed so hard when I read this review. "Twilight: Team Jacob version." Thanks for sparing me the $5 to download it. I have been slightly curious but think I will get another book instead.


Sharon I really liked this book, but I have to admit that I enjoyed your review very much. Your reviews always make me laugh :)


message 31: by Candice (last edited Jan 05, 2011 10:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Candice Ouch. Comparing Shiver to Twilight is like comparing filet mignon to dog food. I'm insulted on behalf of Maggie Stiefvater.

Twilight is godawful dreck written by someone with godawful writing skills. I actually lose a little respect for anyone who claims to be a Twilight fan, and considerably more respect if they dare take pride in that admission.

I read Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. I was told I had to by several fans. Getting through them was nothing short of torture. The writing was abysmal, the characters insufferable, and the plots absurd, even for a fantasy book. After reading them I wanted to roast Stephenie Meyer, her oblivious editor, and her brainless publisher over a conflagration created by torching those books. I still do, and would happily toss a match in the pile if given the chance.

Granted, I'm only half-way through Shiver, but Maggie Stiefvater has proven to be a far, FAR superior writer to Stephenie Meyer. (Then again, Gray and Sharp of "Dick and Jane" fame are better writers than Ms. Meyer.) She's poetic at times, and for goodness' sake the woman actually knows her way around English grammar. There are times when I groan, but that could just be my frustration at reading about randy teenagers and oblivious parents. That's the risk I take reading "young adult" books.

I almost wish Shiver, etc. were published before Twilight. That way perhaps Maggie Stiefvater might've gotten a taste of the fame she deserves for being a decent writer. Instead, people elevate the likes of Stephenie Meyer to icon status, which to me is like electing that orange-tinted twit from the Jersey Shore president of the United States.

I was told we were both hard to please book-wise, but I suppose perhaps you are harder to please than I am! (Although you liked the Hunger Games series, which boggles my mind.)

I'm kind of surprised at how many people thank you for "saving" them from reading this book and those that follow it (the third has yet to be released) rather than, you know, thinking for themselves and giving it a shot.

I also thought your response on August 24th (where you told someone to go gush at a fan club meeting) was pretty immature. Granted I could be doing one of a million things right now rather than writing this, but I simply wanted to toss in my two cents as you did above. I thought GoodReads was a place where mature people gathered, where we could engage in discussions, and people were allowed to disagree with reviews. Am I mistaken?


message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Candice wrote: "I also thought your response on August 24th (where you told someone to go gush at a fan club meeting) was pretty immature. Granted I could be doing one of a million things right now rather than writing this, but I simply wanted to toss in my two cents as you did above. I thought GoodReads was a place where mature people gathered, where we could engage in discussions, and people were allowed to disagree with reviews. Am I mistaken? "

Did you skip right over the multiple rude comments Tatiana was responding to?


Tatiana Thank you, Candice, for stopping by and chastising me for responding to people who come to my thread to be rude to me personally for disliking A BOOK.

If you think you are in the right here, you are mistaken. I have deleted multiple comments here from people who allow themselves to criticize my character in hundred ways because our reading tastes differ.

I would never turn down a person who expresses his/her disagreement in a respectful manner and I was fine with your defense of the book up till the last paragraph where you, just like the majority of Shiver fans, started making assumptions about my character and behavior.


message 34: by Candice (last edited Jan 06, 2011 09:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Candice Tatiana wrote: "...I was fine with your defense of the book up till the last paragraph where you, just like the majority of Shiver fans, started making assumptions about my character and behavior."

I didn't make any assumptions, nor did I impugn your character. I think you're still on the defensive, which I understand. Make no mistake, I did not intend to insult you. I stated my opinion that the comment was immature, not that YOU were immature, or that you were in any way dishonorable. *sigh*

I'm also not a Shiver fan. For goodness' sake, I've only read half of the first book. Don't lump me in with other Shiver fans, and I won't lump you in with other Twilight haters, or Shiver haters. You're simply a devourer of books, as am I.


message 35: by Candice (last edited Jan 06, 2011 09:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Candice Ariel wrote: "Did you skip right over the multiple rude comments Tatiana was responding to?"

Oh, do two wrongs make a right now? I must've missed that.


message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Given the original posts, I don't think Tatiana was in the wrong in the slightest.


message 37: by Penny (last edited Jan 06, 2011 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny Candice wrote: "Ouch. Comparing Shiver to Twilight is like comparing filet mignon to dog food. I'm insulted on behalf of Maggie Stiefvater.

Twilight is godawful dreck written by someone with godawful writing ski..."


Tatiana is fair in all of her reviews. Even when she doesn't like a book she always says something nice about it. Like in this review she said the writing isn't bad and it is an OK paranormal romance. She gave it two stars. I'm unsure if you're aware of this, but based on the goodreads rating system that means 'it was okay'. Pretty nice considering it is a book so awful you couldn't even bring yourself to finish, don't you think?

And the reason people read reviews is to get a feel for a book before going out and purchasing it. Sure it doesn't cost a thing if you check it out from a library, but some people don't have a library nearby. Sometimes their local library's selection is a joke. So some people have to purchase what they read. My point? Tatiana's review is helpful. It saves people from purchasing a book that's not necessarily worth it.

Even then there are several people Tatiana is friends with that read her review and despite her words of wisdom chose to read Shiver anyway. I'm one of those people. So yes, Tatiana's GR friends and other people who follow her reviews can think for themselves.

And despite what you think Tatiana has fantastic taste in books. So she liked The Hunger Games and you don't. Oh, no! That (and of course, this review) must mean she's a baby-eating monster.

Not that it matters but Tatiana gets a lot of grief over her reviews of popular YA books. These commenters never have anything worthwhile to say except that they dislike her review then they attack her character. Does she ever shred a book to pieces in any of her reviews? No. But the fact that she dislikes a book and decides to tell the world about it seems to get under a lot of people's skin. Most of these people, actually everyone except you, are under the age of 18.


Yasmin Im sorry, Im jumping into your argument. I just feel I'll die if I dont say anything. It is not fair.
I respect you dear Tatiana and lovely Penny. (By the way I love your name.)
But you make it like you accomplished you mission by announcing to the world that Shiver doesnt worth reading. You can freely say that you didnt like something, but why so aggressively?
Personally when I come across a book, I come to GR to see the value of the book. If there is a good or bad review about the book that catch my attention, I see if the person who has read it has some common interests with me.
But what if someone doesnt do that and trust your judgement? The way you review is so Influential, Tatiana. And you know it. But people with your taste , are not that much. (I do not say that you have a bad taste. Just not easy to be pleased.)
It's not really nice to say you save people from wasting their own money. No, you dont shred a book to pieces in any of your reviews, but its just as bad. Someone might love the book, and your taking away their opportunity to read it.
Dear Penny, Im not 18 anymore. But do you think the younger ones are stupid? YA genre is for them, too.
Maybe, just maybe you can reconsider the way you espress your opinion.


message 39: by Tatiana (last edited Jan 06, 2011 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tatiana I am taking away people's opportunity to read this book? Readers get out of my review whatever they want. I don't think anyone is following them blindly. I certainly hope they don't.

And how am I influential? I just wrote what I thought about the book and posted it here. People agreed with my assessment and voted on it. Am I forcing my opinion on anyone? Is anyone obligated to read my reviews and agree with me? Is my review the only one available on this website?

I am trying to understand what you are proposing here, Yasmin, that we all should not post any negative reviews of any books at all? If so, what is the point of reviewing at all? Of this website?

I am always baffled by comments like this, always curious what compels people to defend their books this way and why anyone would want to justify his/her love for a book I didn't like to me. Isn't posting a positive review of your favorite a better way to promote it to other readers? You know, instead of chastising me or worse?


message 40: by Penny (new) - rated it 1 star

Penny I don't think people under the age of eighteen are stupid. What I do think is younger readers are more likely to become enamored with less then stellar books.

Is this always the case? No. In fact I know several teenage girls who read Twilight and didn't care for it, didn't read the next three books in the series. I also know several older women who want to make babies with Edward Cullen or Jacob Black. So clearly age isn't always a determining factor on whether or not someone is a crazy fangirl.

It's the crazy fangirls I don't respect, quite frankly. But even then I don't go out of my way to say anything to them until they go out of their way and read my negative review about a book they absolutely love, get butt-hurt over it and decide they need to tell me, the reviewer, off.

If someone posts a comment to let me know they disagree that's fine. But this isn't always the case. More often then not I'm told that I'm obviously stupid, that I have zero taste in books, that I just don't get it, that I'm too old, and so on. And even that's not so bad, really. Because at least they can spell, right?

It's the ones who use text-speak and can't even construct a a half-way coherent sentence (ie., the vast majority of rabid fangirls who attack me) that make me wanna go on a stabbing spree. And by 'stabbing spree' I actually mean 'weep for our country's future'.

Even though Tatiana isn't one to shred a book to pieces, I am. Not that I always do so but I'm definitely guilty of doing it once or twice. And on those occasions I did it because I really disliked, or just plain hated a book. I post my reviews on Goodreads because I don't really have another outlet.

My real-life friends? Seldom agree with me about books. They're mostly passive readers. When they read they do so casually, usually a picking up fun romance, a light read. They never want to analyze what they read, even when symbolism is clearly present. It's all about the joy they get our of the story, regardless of plot-holes or main characters who are TSTL. My husband? Hardly ever reads for fun.

So yeah, I come here to talk about books. Sometimes I love a book so much I can't wait to get on Goodreads to review it. Other times I'm so disappointed by a book I have to run to my computer and let the internet know exactly how I feel. It's like therapy. Or Book Club.

Moving on...

I'm a huge fan of Tatiana's reviews but even I don't always heed her warnings. And sometimes? I actually like books she doesn't like. And we're still GR friends.

Tatiana is not the only Goodreader whose (or is it 'who's'? Dang my mommy brain!) reviews I respect. She's just one of many. That's the beauty of Goodreads. It's practically the only place where I can find honest reviews about any book--it's great. You can't get that at Amazon, that's for sure.

P.S. Thanks. I like my name too, though that wasn't always the case. It was the bane of my existence when I was a child.


Kat Kennedy What is the issue here?

She doesn't like the book. People are either going to note her review or ignore it. I think, however, that Tatiana expressed herself in her review very well. She was not at all offensive.

You want offensive? This book was a steaming pile of shit that can't even compare to The Hunger Games. Not that it should compare because they're apples and oranges to begin with.

The majority of people that come onto her reviews to complain about her well-thought, professional and intellectual opinions are trolls who can't summon enough brain cells to rub together. If she eventually deals with them with even half of the lack of maturity they display so outrageously then she's a master of self-control.

She doesn't go to Stiefvater's personal sites, blogs etc to criticize this book. She's done it here on GoodReads in her own personal space. The fact that you have come onto HER personal space to complain shows an intense disrespect for the reviewing processes.

If you don't like the review, either express yourself courteously or go away and move on with your life. It's just plain common decency. Suggesting that she is somehow being remiss in expressing her opinion is just blatantly ridiculous.

I personally think Tatiana should read On the Edge. I think she'd love it. But she won't. If she came to me in five years and demanded that I should have made her read it then that would be as ridiculous as you blaming her for somehow keeping people away from this book.


Joyzi Very excellent review, I agree there are a lot of similarities with Twilight.


message 43: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve Davids Candace, and all the trolls:
Let me help you guys out: The book was a flaming piece of shit. Where is the damn story? If I want to read poetic descriptions, I will read a fucking poem.

Can you stupid trolls please lay off Tatiana? You like a book, cool. Stick to the idiots that keep buying this piece of crap and saying it changed their life.

You see what I just did? I hope you like people talking crap to you like that about your opinions.

Tatiana, I love your reviews and it is one of the best here, please ignore the idiots.


Joyzi Yeah there should be a rule here in goodreads that members who are trolls on other member's reviews should be banned, come on respect other opinions!


Isamlq Kat wrote: "What is the issue here?

She doesn't like the book. People are either going to note her review or ignore it. I think, however, that Tatiana expressed herself in her review very well. She was not..."


well said :)


Misty "And by 'stabbing spree' I actually mean 'weep for our country's future'."

Nice. ♥ you, Penny. ;p


Candice Kat wrote: "Suggesting that she is somehow being remiss in expressing her opinion is just blatantly ridiculous."

I never said anything of the sort.

Penny wrote: "So she liked The Hunger Games and you don't. Oh, no! That... must mean she's a baby-eating monster."

You're completely overreacting. I NEVER SAID SHE WAS A HORRIBLE PERSON. My comment about the Hunger Games was made in jest, but instead of seeing it as it was meant, you're taking an awful lot of offense to the entire response, that comment included.

Penny wrote: "Pretty nice considering it is a book so awful you couldn't even bring yourself to finish, don't you think?"

Again, I never said it was awful, or that I couldn't finish it. I said I was half way through the book. That means that I'm currently reading it, and I'm only half way through it. I read at night before I go to bed, and will be picking the book up shortly to read a few more chapters before slipping off to Nod.

Separate issues:

Personally I didn't come here to criticize your review or insult your intelligence, Tatiana. I came here to enter into a discussion.

At a book club meeting recently, I said I thought a book was horrible, and was asked why. I listed my reasons and gave details, and the person said, "I never thought of that." We continued on for a bit and had a good volley. No one was mad at the other for liking or not liking the book. That's what I came here for. Needless to say, that's not what I found.

I read your comment where you said you'd deleted several comments. I think it's a shame that you had to, or felt you had to. Whether or not you like the book is no reason to insult you, and whoever did was wrong to do so. I don't think less of you because you only thought the book was "okay."

I don't think we should refrain from posting negative reviews (what good is good without bad to use for comparison?) I know no one directed that particular comment at me, but that was just my opinion on that. I came here to state my opinion. I was under the assumption that, as human beings we were allowed to engage in discussion and disagree with each other without resorting to "Well Candice is obviously an idiot and a troll."

I am not a troll, nor am I impugning anyone's honor or insulting their character. I made one comment about a comment. End of story. And my comment about two wrongs making a right was an effort to keep the conversation respectful and mature, but that doesn't seem to be possible at all here.

TheDuchess wrote: "Candace, and all the trolls..."

First off, my name is Candice not Candace, as it is displayed clearly above this and all of my other comments. Second, I am NOT a troll. As I explained above, I came here for discussion, not to start a fight or irritate people for the fun of it, which is what trolls do. You have absolutely no reason to call me stupid or an idiot, so don't do it. I haven't called anyone here stupid, nor have I acted stupidly. Don't lump me in with others. I don't deserve that.

I'm leaving this thread. People here seem to be far too sensitive, and are reading far too much into comments. I've been accused of several things I did not do, and I'm tired of explaining and re-explaining to those who do not understand.

Good luck, Tatiana. I hope you find many more books that you enjoy. Perhaps we'll cross paths elsewhere in the near future. Maybe then we can have an actual discussion :)


Kat Kennedy Perhaps this has been a misunderstanding in which I can only suggest the following:

The way you express yourself online is not at all clear. The fact that so many people misinterpreted you and the way your comments came across were offensive.

An online community, especially one where a large group of friends are present, is always going to be different from a book club who meets in person.

I sincerely doubt that every single member of your book club is regularly berated by vicious trolls. If you think we overreact then read through our reviews for Fallen, Clockwork Angel, Shiver, and any other YA book we've given less than three stars. We are used to being attacked. It is almost an everyday occurence for us and comments are deleted when the trolls get especially vile.

You will find Tatiana alone has been unjustly, and without provocation, called any number of obscene but surprisingly unoriginal names. For the privilege of posting our opinions, we can expect to feel a sense of dread every time we check our email, reasonably aniticipating it to be some troll come to yell at us.

Perhaps you need to familiarize yourself with the generally appropriate behaviour on GoodReads, and acceptable means of expressing yourself online before you try and engage in a debate. The reaction you received here could easily have been avoided had you simply phrased yourself differently.


Tatiana Candice, if you didn't start this conversation criticizing me, we could have had a great discussion. Yes, I might be oversensitive, but I still don't think starting a dialog with calling someone's comments immature is a great conversation opener. That is all.


message 50: by Brandi (new)

Brandi What does purple prose mean? I'm glad I came across this review~I liked the cover and I enjoy were stories, but this would have been a waste of my money since I have no desire to read another Bella San wannabe. Thank you :)


« previous 1
back to top