Nannie Bittinger's Reviews > The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop: A Memoir, a History

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee

Aug 23, 09

Read in August, 2009

I so enjoyed this book, I may even have to considering buying a copy to keep. Even though Buzbee doesn't seem to have much interest in libraries, his romance with bookstores is delightful. Even the size of the book was perfect--about the size of a large note card. I skimmed some other reviews and noticed that one mentioned that Buzbee never really explained where he got the title. I too was looking for that little nugget but never found it. He does refer to the special light in several bookstores and I'll assume that covers it.

There is so much info in this book about the publishing and sales of books that I found fascinating but I would have liked to have a little more of the 'memoir' side included. At one point he mentioned something about two periods of 'madness' in his life and that intrigued me but nothing more was written. The jacket photo of Buzbee is of a man with very dark circles around his eyes. Is he a severe insomniac? The squint that was there made me think of a heavy smoker too. Or has he read too many books in dim 'yellow-lighted' bookstores? Whatever, I loved the entire book and my only complaint is that it left me wanting more~

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 This is a memoir, right?

Nannie Bittinger Yes. Here's the write-up from one of my book sources that made me want to add it to my tbr:

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop: A Memoir, a History
by Lewis Buzbee
ISBN: 9781555975104 Paperback
Published: 2008 by Graywolf Press
Buzbee, a former bookseller and sales representative, celebrates the unique experience of the bookstore--the smell and touch of books, getting lost in the deep canyons of shelves, and the silent community of readers. In "The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop," a "Book Sense "selection, Lewis Buzbee celebrates the unique experience of the bookstore--the smell and touch of books, the joy of getting lost in the deep canyons of shelves, and the silent community of readers. He shares his passion for books, which began with ordering through the "Weekly Reader "in grade school. Woven throughout is a fascinating historical account of the bookseller trade--from the great Alexandria library to Sylvia Beach's famous Paris bookstore, Shakespeare & Co. Rich with anecdotes, "The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop "is the perfect choice for those who relish the enduring pleasures of spending an afternoon finding just the right book.
BIOGRAPHY & AUTOBIOGRAPHY, Literary

message 3: by Barbm1020 (new)

Barbm1020 Sounds delicious!