Lisa's Reviews > The Connected Child: Bring Hope and Healing to Your Adoptive Family

The Connected Child by Karyn B. Purvis

Mar 14, 12

Read in March, 2012

This is BY FAR the most helpful book I've read on attachment, bonding and helping a traumatized child learn to feel safe and yet not allow them to overly control the life of your family due to their very real struggles and issues. Written by two PhD's at Texas Christian University, they provide common-sense understanding of what triggers fear and other struggles in traumatized children while offering very helpful and HOPEFUL strategies for compassionate, loving, strong and effective parenting to help them learn to feel secure and overcome their struggles. After reading another book on this subject last week from start to finish in one late-night session that gave me very little hope, very few practical ideas and created a great deal of anxiety and fear of the future, this book has been a great comfort.

I will be giving this book as a gift to every new adoptive parent I know. Can't wait to finish it, probably this weekend. I stayed up until 3:30am reading it last night...
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Connected Child.