Tracy's Reviews > On a Pale Horse

On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony

Jul 30, 09

Read in July, 2009

The gospel according to Piers Anthony is mismanaged and a little boring. We're compelled to wade through half a novel of false doctrine before hitting actual storyline. Every chapter plants a seed of what's to come, but it is slow and tedious until the last few chapters. Had I read only the second half of the novel, I think I might have enjoyed it. It is a wildly creative story, embedding future, fantasy, and religion.

Piers Anthony is thoroughly self-absorbed. This novel embodies his great love for his own literary skill. He loves arranging grandiose words in scintillating cadence to the detriment of meaning, and I dislike his lack of preciseness. Another condescending measure devised to instill in the reader an awe of his literary greatness is an over abundance of classic poetry quoted throughout the novel.

My favorite part is in the author's notes, where Piers Anthony confesses to being a sell-out; he only writes what's been bought and paid for. He also shares a bit much of himself in the author's notes - that part about the kidney stones was riveting (what a page turner :D).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On a Pale Horse.