Katie(babs)'s Reviews > The Prince of Frogs

Oct 04, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: gag-worthy-book
Read in September, 2009

The Prince of Frogs by Annaliese Evans is the sequel to Night’s Rose. Night’s Rose is a type of book that can either be a historical urban fantasy or for some, an erotic historical fantasy because of the sexual tone of the story. The heroine is Rosemarie, a fey who fights orges. Annaliese takes the Sleeping Beauty myth and spins it. The Prince of Frogs picks up where Rosemarie and her newly married vampire husband, Lord Gareth are in the Kingdom of Myrdrean recovering from a ogre attack. Gareth is weak and Rosemarie is concerned because Gareth isn’t as loving to her as she expects him to be. Rose is very stressed out due to the nightmares of blood, violence and death she has. The Mother, who is the creator of the Fey line, comes to Rose in these dreams and wants her to kill Gareth. Rose is very frightened because they seem so very real.

Rose is also trying to figure out her feelings for her old advisor and former betrothed, Ambrose Minuit. Ambrose and Gareth are also brothers and can’t stand one another. Even though she loves Gareth deeply, she can’t get Ambrose out of her mind. Gareth is also jealous because he doesn’t think Rose is being truthful with him.

Rose, Gareth and Ambrose travel to Rose’s grandfather at his court in order to protect Gareth and to get his approval for her marrying a vampire. When Rose arrives, she finds herself in more danger than ever before. Not only does she fear for her own life, but Gareth turns his back on her and Ambrose lurks around trying to take Rose as his own.

I was expecting a sexy, action packed magical tale where Rose and Gareth team up to defeat their enemies with Ambrose by their side. What was told instead was a fantasy tale that I just found too boring. The majority of the time we see Rose worrying about everything around her and her constant questioning on why Gareth isn’t the lusty man she knew him to be before they were married. Her nightmares with the evil Mother were annoying and the constant attempts on Rose’s life didn’t bring any shock and awe as I thought it would.

Annaliese then does something with the Gareth, Rose and Ambrose relationship in such a way that really turned me off. There was a bit of foreshadowing in Night’s Rose and at the beginning of The Prince of Frogs over Rose turning to both men to form a ménage to keep her strong and safe. I was such a fan of how Rose and Gareth fell in love and wished Annaliese would have kept their relationship between just the both of them. The sensuality in this book is very toned down until the end where out of the blue it transforms in to an erotic love fest that just didn’t seem to fit the story.

The Prince of Frogs didn’t work for me even though fans of her work may enjoy the new turn of events with Rose and her two men. I will have to say this a pass.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince of Frogs.

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Katie

CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right Oh no, now I'm incredibly freaked out. Please please please tell me that there's not a menage a trois or some sort of weird Rosemarie and Ambrose relationship. The series had such promise and now...ugh, I'm concerned.

Katie(babs) CJ wrote: "Oh no, now I'm incredibly freaked out. Please please please tell me that there's not a menage a trois or some sort of weird Rosemarie and Ambrose relationship. The series had such promise and now....."

Your worst fears have come to life. Yes, they end up in a happy loving menage. I think I won't be reading the third book because of that.

message 4: by CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right (last edited Mar 09, 2010 06:11AM) (new)

CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right expletive!

I really hate when that happens. Like I don't mind when there is a love triangle but I hate when the author builds up a very good monogamous love and then throws in another relationship for the sake of it.

I also really enjoyed the way that Gareth and Annaliese fell in love.

I think I'm going to pass on this one.